(~ Chapter 2 - Life's an experience to follow ~)

Monday, June 20, 2005


“Why? Luke, tell me why it has to be me again? Why do I get hurt time and again?” a voice from the other side of the phone exclaimed.

“Aileen…” I spoke with patience. “Life’s never a bed of roses. There are a lot of things that God decides to give us trials instead of spoonfeeding us everything. It’s not life if it’s easy.”

“Why me again? Why He has to take away my love when I found it?”

I looked up to the ceiling, wishing she knew the answer. “That is probably because He thinks that your current love is not the one for you. We never know what great plans He has in store for every single one of us. Life’s an experience for us to follow, do you understand that?”

Continually, I still hear her sobs and sniffs. She hang up the phone after a short while. I hope she’ll be okay…

Took the remote and switched off the VCD player. Lay on the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. Life’s a lesson…Life’s an experience…that’s what I often tell people. When people are overly emotional and into the scene, they often forget all the very things that constitute to what they are…who had been with them that made their life meaningful. Living life 24 years, I do not have what it takes to be “of experience” but I do recall scenes and events from time to time…

Constantly in class, my Form Teacher has a nickname for me – “Old Frail Woman”. I’m not frail, but I’m certainly slow in her eyes because I was slow in every instruction she asked me to do. My parents do not think so because they knew I’m a smart kid – they probably constitute it to laziness, but always reminded me to do my best in whatever I do. That year, I did heed their advice though and surprised myself when I saw my results. I topped the class and standard in Mathematics. What a way to go!

Then it was class allocation for the coming year and when I saw it I was hit with a wave of shock, surprise and a small tingle of fear. I was assigned to the best class in school. Even though I had the results to get into it, I did not know if I am up to it…after all, I’m facing top competition in school. I’m not a competitive person, and I don’t need to prove myself by being the best…because I believe I am what I am.

Day One of the New Year school reopening, I walked into the class after the boring assembly and Principal’s Address. I did see some familiar faces as they were friends whom had risen into the ranks earlier than I did, but there was one particular person that caught my eye.

Anne. Anne’s in my class! I couldn’t believe my luck. Suddenly I brought myself back into reality…so what she’s in my class? Nothing will happen, I thought. Our seats are so far from each other, and being as young as we were, we were curious but shy towards people from the opposite gender. I could only watch her from afar though.

If there was one thing that’s not glamorous and yet I can be proud of, it had to be my information-seeking, scouting and snooping skills. In my earlier years, I could get whatever addresses I need with timely fashion, when I need it. I guess some people wonder how I did it, but somehow time and essence’s the key to everything…and of course a great deal of luck. Anne’s information wasn’t easy – what I did muster were only her grades...oh boy, only my top subject’s on par with hers. Somehow this time round my skills did not work on her…for some unknown apparent reason, her information seems to be much more secretive compared to the many others I managed to get in little or no time at all.

What am I doing so much for? She’s only a girl, nothing much. I’m still too young for anything. Sometimes I get a voice or two ringing in my head that I’m beyond my years. I did not believe it actually, since it’s kind of nonsense to be listening and heeding those words from the voices in your mind, since you never really know who those voices belong to.

For half a year it had been tough surviving in the top level. There was certainly more homework, more stress and more eyes looking at me. I’m glad my parents stayed the some behavior throughout everything. Thanks mom and dad =)

The phone rang. Aileen again?