(~ Chapter 3 - 续着我的童话 (FairyTale Continued) ~)

Thursday, June 23, 2005


Life’s never a bed of roses, I often convince myself by that fact. By looking at so many cases that I’ve handled and advised, I could hardly think life’s a smooth journey. If everything is smooth-sailing in life, I guess it will be too boring…but then again, if it’s always the same right from the beginning without choices to make, without mistakes in life, what’s about boredom that we face? If Adam and Eve had not disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden, everything will still be peaceful and free isn’t it? Are we really contented about freedom? I highly digress.

Anyway I guess I’m off topic. It was Aileen on the phone just now, but it was short as she wanted to look for her boyfriend (still hers? I don’t know) over at his workplace. I’ve heard of such stunts too many times. Often the guy will agree to give the gal one more chance, only to somehow have a problem somewhere leading to a bigger problem and argument. I foresee that should they be back again. Look, I’m not being critical and assuming, but it’s my experience. If they can prove me wrong, I’ll be happy for Aileen.

Reminiscence got the better of me as I went to take my keys and opened my personal drawer. At an instant the stack of letters dropped out as soon as I opened – what pure coincidence, I thought. I guess I put my mind too much into Anne nowadays the letters found their way out of the small corner of the drawer and into the open air. Slowly, I took the letters one by one and went through them…

The Summer Holidays were fundamental to every student in the country. It was supposedly a time where we can enjoy and relax and take cover from the various teachers and especially homework. Somehow, we couldn’t be blamed too much for not finishing holiday homework even though we had a whole month to finish them. Kids we still were.

Frankly speaking, I did not want to return to school as holidays are way too cool. I still went out with 2 good pals in my neighborhood during the holidays, often just chilling out and chatting on the stone chairs and tables, or walking around to various surrounding neighborhoods, making small little expeditions of our own. Or to game and chill at a pal’s home, receiving the hospitality of his parents and the cool smile and cheerfulness of his older sister. Yea you are right – I had a crush on his older sister. Haha =) that was really what I am as a kid.

Back to school, my only means of putting myself at a comfort level was to convince myself I could see Anne again. This simply was a semester that changed my life forever.

Being too much within my clique, the form teacher wanted us to exchange places because she was trying to split up all the rowdy students (I’m one of them) and mix them with the ‘good’ students so they can learn to shut up and concentrate on the class. Being an Asian backdrop, somehow they knew in normality the boys will shut up once they are being paired with a girl, and that was what my form teacher did. I started seeing my buddies slowly being paired with girls, some which I knew they really did not like being with. I was like thinking…oh man, please do not pair me with the girls. Wait, I thought. There is one girl I wanted to be with.

Anne. She’s the only girl I would want to be with. I shall change my objective now. I looked at my form teacher attentively, somehow praying and hoping that a miracle would happen and that she will read my mind and obey my thoughts.

“Pair me with Anne, pair me with Anne, pair me with Anne…I don’t mind being on the front row, just pair me with her…”

Apart from pairing with a female, being in the front was a dreaded thing with the boys as it meant lesser freedom, lesser means of being noisy and troublemaking, and more of being targeted by the teachers and more chances of being spotted of wrongdoings. I did not mind any of those so long I get a shot of being with Anne who was already been assigned to be in the front.

“Luke,” my form teacher ordered. “You are to sit beside Anne.”

My eyes opened wide in awe. I heard laughter behind me as my buddies snickered at my ‘misfortune’. I could not have believed my luck. To me, it might just be the best thing that happened to me in my 11 years of survival in the urban wild. I had to resume my composure. As part of the boys, I could not reveal my true feelings so I had to act as though I really hated the idea (so the other boys will not think I’m not one of them – something which happens when you are trying to be accepted by the general clique) and dragged myself (and my bag) to the seat beside Anne. I settled myself down, dragged the chair out of the desk and proceeded to sit.

“Luke, how many times do I have to tell you that you are NOT to drag that chair out of the desk?” another warning from the form teacher. Duh, who cares about you?

I flashed a brief smile at Anne (still being a little shy about it) and guess what, she smiled in response! Oh man, she could have melted me that instant. Her radiance really made my day great. Finally I had a chance to observe her much more closely, and probably appreciating her little stuff bits by bits, so close yet so far from her. It was such a moment I realized what fair skin she had, and judging by some actions she did, she had nice hair (and shampoo) and smooth skin (no, I didn’t touch her).

The rest of the day was great. Well, not really great as tons of English and Mathematical homework piled onto me…but with Anne on my side (literally), I felt a sense of fighting spirit instilled in me.